Saturday, March 22, 2008

It's an Easter miracle! We have internet!

Montpellier is a funny place to live. This weekend we’re hosting Rachel’s future roommate at Penn State who’s studying abroad in Rome this weekend and she woke up to the parade this morning wondering the same thing we wondered a few weeks ago, what is all that noise? The frenchies love to parade. Last Friday morning we were startled out of bed by the drums and looking out the window we saw a huge crowd of people dressed all in white waving flags with the number 38 painted on them. The next group to pass was purple with “79” flags, then the pinks with their “42”s… Today’s parade featured multiple groups of tweens in matching jogging suits. The parade was headed by a bunch of grandparent type figures with trumpets and other brass instruments, flanked with mom’s and strollers, and peppered with adults in matching jumpsuits. I heard that the last parade had something to do with a meeting of the engineering school’s in the south and this latest parade had something to do with celebrating club sports. When there was a pause in the flow, I watched one of the red-suits break out some tecktonik—the biggest dance craze in France, this is what it looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36e9kZcRWGI . This is not a joke. I repeat, this is not a joke, they actually dance like this. Well everyone under 20. We want to learn some tecktonik because it’s so funny, but none of our friends will teach us more than how to dance the making-fun-of-tecktonik dance. Also, the high schoolers wear tight bright blue tshirts, skinny jeans, and mullets (well the guys) all of the girls at the high school wear black skinny jeans, black shirts of some sort, and black high heels. I finally got internet! I’m not sure what I’m doing for Easter, I think Ariana and I will dress up and wander into one of those big cathedrals around. Then I plan on skyping the fam tomorrow! I’m excited to see everyone! Happy Easter! He is risen!

No comments: