Monday, January 28, 2008

January 27, 2008

We went on another excursion to Provence yesterday and it was spectacular. I saw some of the most beautiful sites. We first visited the Pont du Gard—a roman aqueduct that crosses a beautiful river surrounded by verdant grasses and white rocks. I could have spent hours there hiking up through the trees and picnicking on high rocks overlooking the valley. We then went to Fontaine-de-Vaucluse, a pretty little town wedged into the base of a beautiful canyon, that has the start of the most beautiful river in the area—the Sorgue de Vaucluse. The river has baffled scientists for centuries because the source has not yet been found. It’s phenomenal. In walking towards the beginning, the temperature drops significantly (in just a couple of steps!) There is a clear river cascading over rocks, and then there are just rocks. Further up there is a little cave with a turquoise pond. Looking at the water you can see the rocks go deeper and deeper, and you can see the reflection of the canyon—this would be a challenge to paint! The furthest down they’ve made it in this little cave pond is 308 m (1010.49 ft), after that the device that they used is too big to fit through the galleries. On the river, there were mallard ducks, just like home, but these were gorgeous. Their colors were so clean and vibrant! We fed them a little bit of a baguette. It was at Fontaine-de-Vaucluse that my camera ran out of batteries, but my pictures couldn’t do anything I saw justice anyway. The next site was Les Baux de Provence, a small village around a castle owned by les Baux, situated on the top of a huge canyon. The village was really cute. I ate a delicious honey sucker made from the lavender blossoms there. Our last stop of the day was the Windmill of Fontvieille. It’s Alphonse Daudet’s windmill knows as “Moulin Saint Pierre” or “Saint Peter’s Windmill.” It was built in 1815 and functioned until 1915—one of the last functioning windmills. I could have spent a couple of days at any of these sites (except maybe the windmill), but they are all places that are only accessible by car. Maybe when mom comes we can rent a car—Kami would be jealous of the colors mom would get to capture at these beautiful places. I’ll have to set up another website for pictures; I haven’t had luck uploading pictures onto the blog. I’ll try again today though.

I called Will yesterday, he was having breakfast in Madrid, where he’d spend the night at a seven story club and in a hostel with his friends. This week we’re on vacation—our prestage and registration are behind us, and we start real classes on Monday. I’m taking a French grammar course, a phonetics course, a course to accompany my internship, a course on French fiction lit, and my one true Paul Valery course which is a course on media.

2 comments:

Jill Luger said...

I'm going to start calling you Sabrina Fairchild. When you come home you're going to say "I found my self in France". Then you'll move there. I doubt if Harrison Ford will follow you, he's a little to old for you, but maybe some other hunk. I'm a little confused. Don't they have laundermats? Does everyone wash their clothes by hand? Anyway keep the blog's coming. I feel like I'm there with you, you describe everthing so beautifully. Love Jill

Abbie Chandler Defiel said...

Well, french people have laundry machines. I don't even have a radio. Most everyone in the program has been doing their laundry by hand--I'm getting a little bit better every load. Last night it was actually soothing to get my hands in the bucket after spending seven and a half hours in class taking speed notes.